On 10 March 2015, Lok Sabha adopted nine amendments moved by the government to the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
Following are some of the key amendments:
- Social infrastructure removed as an exempted category.
- Land can be acquired up to 1 km on both sides of the designated railway line or road of the industrial corridor.
- Before issuing notification, the government should ensure that land acquired is bare minimum required for the project.
- The appropriate government must conduct survey of its wasteland including arid land and maintain a record.
- Acquisition of land for private hospitals, educational institutions no longer counted as public purpose.
- Compulsory employment to at least one member of affected family of a farm labourer.
- Land acquisition, rehabilitation authority should hold hearings in district where acquisition takes place.
- Court shall take cognizance of offence provided in the procedure laid down in section 197 of Code of Criminal Procedure.